Friday, December 30, 2011

WindowSeat

Erykah Badu is singing in my background and instead of letting it play I rewind or fast-forward to the chorus and I sing…“can I get a window seat, don’t want nobody next to me… I just want a ticket out of town, a look around and a safe touch down”

And then I realize that I want to escape, a GRAND escape…a “Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego” escape...a nobody knows where I am escape… an escape that includes post cards that read “Hello, I am Safe”, and letters to my children that say “I love you and I’ll be home soon, voice mails that utter I miss you, and emails that read “Backpacking through Europe”…


“Sooooo…. can I get a window seat, don’t want nobody next to me… I just want a ticket out of town, a look around and a safe touch down…:”




The honest truth is that I was never met to be anchored and maybe this would explain why I only feel a sense of home around my children… I know I don’t belong to any particular place, but I believe I belong to the movement of trees on windy nights, swaying in and out of freedom’s warmth …or maybe I belong to the ocean where my ebbs flow to distances pass forever, swirling in passionate crests, that tide the beaches with caress…


Drifting…

“can I get a window seat, don’t want nobody next to me… I just want a ticket out of town, a look around and a safe touch down…


I wanna get to that place where my body is allowed to melt into a cloud and mate with raindrops…. Or maybe that place past the horizon, beyond night, and just before heaven where I can walk meadows of lilac and admire my purple footprints…


“can I get a window seat, don’t want nobody next to me… I just want a ticket out of town, a look around and a safe touch down…


I’d like one ticket,
out of town,
going nowhere in particular,
just away from here…


long enough to miss and be missed

1 comment:

  1. Yesss, away from the phonys the fakes and all the troubles of the world!! where no one knows me and i have no clue who they are...

    ReplyDelete